When workers make mistakes on the job, the results can be devastating… for their fellow coworkers. These heartbreaking incidents serve as a reminder of the importance of following safety protocols and procedures in the workplace to prevent accidents and injuries.
- In 2021, a worker at a meatpacking plant in Iowa was killed when a coworker accidentally turned on a machine that he was inside. The worker had failed to follow proper lockout/tagout procedures, leading to the accident.
- In 2020, a Pennsylvania worker was seriously injured when a coworker operating a forklift accidentally struck him. The coworker had failed to properly secure a load of materials, leading to the accident.
- In 2019, a worker at a construction site in California was killed when a coworker accidentally dropped a steel beam onto him. The coworker had failed to properly secure the beam to a crane, leading to the accident.
- In 2018, a worker at a warehouse in New Jersey was seriously injured when a coworker accidentally struck him with a forklift. The coworker had failed to properly look in the direction of travel before moving the forklift, leading to the accident.
- In 2017, a worker at a sawmill in British Columbia was killed when a coworker accidentally struck him with a forklift. The coworker had failed to see the victim due to a blind spot, leading to the accident.
- In 2016, a worker at a food processing plant in Missouri was seriously injured when a coworker accidentally sprayed him with a caustic chemical. The coworker had failed to properly label the chemical and mistook it for water, leading to the accident.
- In 2015, a worker at a construction site in New York was killed when a coworker accidentally dropped a piece of rebar onto him. The coworker had failed to properly secure the rebar to a crane, leading to the accident.
- In 2014, a worker at a steel plant in Indiana was killed when a coworker accidentally struck him with a loader. The coworker had failed to look behind him before backing up the loader, leading to the accident.
These incidents highlight the importance of proper training, communication, and vigilance in the workplace.
What steps should you take to get compensation for your injury
If you are injured by a coworker in the workplace, there are several steps you should take to ensure that you receive compensation for your injury:
- Seek medical attention: The first step is to seek medical attention for your injuries. Even if your injuries seem minor, it is important to get them checked out by a doctor to document the extent of your injuries.
- Report the incident: You should report the incident to your supervisor or HR department as soon as possible. This will help to ensure that the incident is properly documented and that an investigation is conducted.
- Collect evidence: It is important to gather as much evidence as possible to support your claim for compensation. This may include witness statements, photographs of the scene, and any other relevant documentation.
- Contact a workers’ compensation lawyer: A workers’ compensation lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that your rights are protected. They can also help you negotiate a fair settlement with your employer or their insurance company.
- File a workers’ compensation claim: You should file a workers’ compensation claim with your employer’s insurance company as soon as possible. This will allow you to receive benefits such as medical expenses and lost wages while you recover from your injuries.
- Attend all required appointments: It is important to attend all required medical appointments and follow your doctor’s instructions for treatment. Failing to do so could jeopardize your claim for compensation.
Why get an attorney after a coworker hurts you
If you have been injured by a coworker, there are several reasons why you may want to consider getting an attorney.
You may be facing significant medical bills, lost of earnings, and other expenses. A lawyer can help you seek compensation for these expenses, as well as for any pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of your injury. A lawyer can conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding your injury, including interviewing witnesses and reviewing evidence. This can help you build a strong case and identify any potential legal claims you may have.
By working with a lawyer after being injured by a coworker, you can ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you need to recover from your injuries. Contact us for a free consultation.